Find the potential business change and convert it into value by asking yourself what the real value will be. Saved time? Well, will staff stay or end their employment? The first results in saved time they use to do new activities and you had to decide what that secondary will lead to. Can the business managers agree to launch a new business improvement project utilising the saved hours as enabler? Activities under this phase can be:
- Evaluate current process documentation, business objectives, identified general challenges.
- Workshops or other ways, to find out what improvements need to be made.
- At the workshop - or in a later ‘Benefits advisory group’ meeting - make subjective priority what is most important.
- Register the list of possible benefits in the Benefits Screening worksheet in RBC Excel ToolTM, and make a first draft on how the benefit value formula could look like.
- In the ‘Benefits advisory group’, state how to calculate the benefits’ value, explore and find the variables and data needed.
- If suitable, discuss with Human Resource and business managers about how realistic real labour cost reduction is and strategies how to turn saved time into real money
- If suitable, finish with a gateway review and if possible, and reduce the number of alternatives before proceeding to the expenditure screening.
- Finish by reviewing Benefits Screening worksheet in RBC Excel ToolTM .
- Explore and define all IT-expenses for each of the alternatives. This usually is done by interviews, rather than with workshops.
- Edit directly into the Expenditure Screening worksheet in RBC Excel ToolTM.
- Explore and define all business change expenses for each of the alternatives. This usually is done by workshops with business management.
- Explore and define both capital cost and operational cost, and both internal and external cost.
- Include any cost arising if current IT-systems need to be taken down.
- Finish by reviewing the Expenditure Screening worksheet in RBC Excel ToolTM.
Report & Recommendation
- The Report worksheet in RBC Excel ToolTM offers most charts, tables and data you need.
- In the Report Sheet, you can compare each alternative against another and by that produce several dimensions of charts and tables.
- Use the data in the tool to create your own report in PowerPoint or Word, and pick the needed data to explain your analysis, decisions, and recommendation.